If you are familiar with the working of an automotive engine, you must know that the engine and its internal component undergo tremendous amounts of temperature and pressure on a daily basis while they are functional. So, the performance of an engine degrades over time because of internal wear and tear and minimal damage to the internal parts.
If there is an excessive amount of friction between these parts, the effects are even more severe. You will also start noticing irregular sounds coming out of your engine that you hadn’t heard before. To avoid that, you will have to keep your engine maintained with the help of a decent oil additive. Before you buy one, make sure you check the following factors.
- Friction and Temperature Resistance: It is quite difficult to determine which oil additive is perfect for your engine just by looking at its technical specifications and chemical qualities. You need to ensure that the oil you are buying can reduce the friction between the internal parts of your engine while offering a high-temperature resistance. Generally, oils made by premium brands have this quality.
- Quantity: Apart from what oil additive you are buying, you also need to consider how much oil additive you are buying and whether it is sufficient for your work or not. Generally, it is recommended to get extra oil additives that are on the safe side. While you are applying the oil to the engine, there are chances of spillage and other forms of oil wastage. Even if not, you can store the extra oil for your next maintenance session.
- Type of Package: The application method of the oil additive is also dependent upon its packaging type. While some oil additives arrive in a standard lidded container, some are offered with innovative packaging that surely helps at the time of application. Some great examples of that are tube-type packages and even standard containers with an extended neck design to make the application easier for everyone.
There are a lot of things to consider before you can decide which oil additive will offer you the best results and flawless engine performance. And it is certainly not easy to pick one since there are hundreds of different options present in the market from renowned as well as fresh brands. Therefore, we have already selected the best oil additives available in the market right now and listed all of those options right here. After that, we will discuss some major parameters of oil additives in our “Buying Guide” for the best oil additives.
Best Oil Additive
Best Oil Additive Reviews
It is usually a good idea to go with a reliable brand for a product like oil additive for your expensive bike or car. Brands like Archoil are trusted by many for their maintenance products.
Coming in the 1st position, we have the most popular oil additive available for right now. The Archoil AR9100 Oil Additive is more of a friction modifier that can take care of basic engine issues like friction and performance along with some major issues like cold starts and even injector problems. This is the right option for large engines measuring up to 7.3 liters in size.
The Archoil AR9100 Oil Additive is assured to minimize the wear and tear occurring between moving engine parts as it reduces the friction between moving components. And with that, it also reduces the engine noises and other irritating problems. These oil additives work with both gas as well as diesel engines. Plus, it is also compatible with special machines like gearboxes, hydraulic, and other complicated mechanisms.
- 16 oz oil additive quantity available in the pack
- Comes in a standard container
- Preferred choice of a lot of buyers
- Suitable for up to 7 liters engines
- One of the most reliable options in the market
- Takes care of severe engine problems
- Reduces formation of harmful exhaust gasses
- Bit of an overkill for basic engines
REV X is also a popular choice of brand for automotive maintenance products like oil additives and lubricants. It is one of the most common products used by professional mechanics.
The REV X is yet another great choice present at the 2nd position on our list of the best oil additives. This is a rather premium compound as you will only get 4 oz of oil in a pack. But with the given chemical properties, it is probably more than enough for most applications. One bottle of the REV X Oil Additive is good enough for nearly 6 quarts of engine oil.
The REV X Oil Additive is created to offer many benefits like reduction in engine noise, cleaning of potentially harmful deposits, and reducing friction at a microscopic level. It can also remove stiction which is pretty common in HEUI injectors despite being free from any harmful chemical components. Therefore, the REV X Oil Additive will surely extend the life of your engine and increase its overall performance noticeably.
- 4 oz oil additive quantity available in the pack
- Comes in a small container
- Capable of reducing stiction
- 1 bottle is enough for up to 6 quarts of engine oil
- Suitable for multiple applications
- Premium quality oil additive
- Offers many great results
- Quantity is too low for the price
Unlike most other options present in the market for an oil additive, TriboTEX is offering a unique and even more premium solution for one right here. Even though this is a smaller unit, it is designed for special purpose applications.
The TriboTEX Nano Oil Additive is our 3rd choice for the best oil additives present in the market right now. It is more of an overall engine treatment solution offered in a compact tube-type package. And since this is a highly premium option, it is even more important to carefully apply the additive without any spillage or loss. The nanoparticles in the TriboTEX Nano Oil Additive offer the best results for a wide range of oil additive benefits.
First of all, it can revert your engine back to its original performance along with a noticeable decrease in engine noises. And, it can also effectively reverse the wear and tear in bearing by creating a diamond-shaped carbon coating around its surface. It is also universally compatible with all types of engine oils and can be used with older as well as newer engine models.
- Wide range of compatibility
- Comes in tube-type packaging
- It can reverse wear and tear on bearings
- Nanoparticle formula for best results
- Application is easy and safe
- Little to no chance of additive loss
- Universally compatible with all engine oils
- Very expensive oil additive, especially for basic applications
Now that you are familiar with what no budget limit can buy you, let us take a look at what’s good for you under a tight budget. This option from Lucas Oil is probably the cheapest oil additive you will come across today.
The Lucas Oil 10063 Oil Additive is one of the, if not the most, affordable options you will find on our list today. Still, you will receive 16 oz of oil in a package which is more than what many premium brands are offering right now. Plus, you will also notice a compact nozzle on the top of the Lucas Oil 10063 Oil Additive container, making it easier to apply for experienced as well as novice users.
This option is more suited for vehicles that do not face the hardships of a rough street on a daily basis. It is made up of extreme pressure additives and some important chemicals like zinc, assuring its results after application. You can also use it as an additive for the camshaft of your engine to improve its performance along with the fuel efficiency of the engine.
- 16 oz oil additive quantity available in the pack
- Comes in a standard container with a nozzle
- Includes zinc as one of the major chemicals
- Made with extreme pressure additives
- Easy to use for most users
- Cheapest option on this list
- Quantity is pretty good
- Not an idea choice for routine transport vehicles
If quantity is one of the important factors for you, stop right here. The engine oil additive set from XADO will offer you a great quantity of oil additives along with multiple packs to make it ideal for storage.
The XADO engine oil additive is also coming from one of the dedicated brands for oil additives and lubricants as you can find a variety of options from this brand, each one designated for a certain type of application. You will get a special oil additive for heavy vehicles, commercial SUVs, diesel trucks, and many others. This oil additive from XADO is capable of restoring the surface of internal engine parts by washing out the remains after the eventual wear and tear.
Apart from that, it can also repair the gas compression capacity of your engine chamber, ultimately increasing the fuel efficiency and being highly compressed is more potent than an improper air-fuel mixture. With that, you can also expect your engine to perform well and avoid overheating and overloading in spite of heavy-usage.
- 61 oz oil additive quantity available in the pack
- Comes in a basic canister
- Comes with revitalizant
- Specially designed for specific applications
- Quantity is pretty good for the price
- Restores original surface of engine parts
- Increases fuel efficiency
- Only suitable for gasoline engines
COMP, mainly popular for large quantities of engine components, also produces oil additives that can be a suitable choice for your vehicle. It is also a budget option compared to what we have seen so far.
The COMP Oil Additive is also one of the fine choices to take overall care of your engine. It is made up with both zinc and phosphorus as main components, offering great engine performance along with minimal friction levels needed for smooth running of the unit. For best results, make sure you apply the COMP Oil Additive on piston rings, valve guides, lifters, and other moving parts of your engine.
It can also prevent special engine parts like flat tappets and even valve trains. With the ZDDP chemical composition, it can easily remove even the most hard-settled corrosion. As for the compatibility, the COMP Oil Additive can be used with almost any type of engine, whether it is a gasoline, methanol, or even high-octane race fuel.
- 12 oz oil additive quantity available in the pack
- Comes in a canister with elongated opening
- Suitable for all engine parts
- No additional additives are needed
- Fully compatible with all types of engines
- ZDDP chemical composition for great performance
- Great quantity for the price
- Some other options are a bit more affordable
For storage, it is probably better to buy multiple canisters of oil additives at once and keep the additional ones for future applications. ZDDPlus is also offering a similar choice for an oil additive on this list.
The ZDDPlus Engine Oil Additive is also a great option if you are looking for frequent oil additive applications throughout the year. You will get a set of 2 oil additive containers in the package, offering 4 oz of quantity on each. So, you are probably set for a year or 2 as far as your oil additive needs are concerned. It also has zinc and phosphorus compounds to increase the potency of the compound.
Even with the small quantity, it is still a good option as a single 4 oz bottle of ZDDPlus Engine Oil Additive is good enough for 4 to 6 quarts of engine oil. The chemical compound used for ZDDPlus Engine Oil Additive is especially beneficial for older car models whose engine has seen better days. You can also use the ZDDPlus Engine Oil Additive on high-performance engines dating back to 1989.
- 8 oz total oil additive quantity available in the pack
- Comes in a basic canister
- Suitable for very old engine models
- Compatible with synthetic and standard motor oils
- It has zinc and phosphorus chemicals
- Suitable for older car models
- One bottle is suitable for 4 to 6 quarts of engine oil
- Not the best option for newer models that don’t need such a powerful additive
Rislone is also offering a great option for an oil additive as far as the quality as well as quantity of the product is considered. Apart from the oil additives, Rislone also makes a variety of other maintenance products that you can check out.
The Rislone Nano Prime engine oil is also one of the fine options we have for general-purpose application within an affordable price range. This unit comes with 16.9 oz oil additive, making it arguably the best option today in terms of quantity. And for the quality, the Rislone Nano Prime engine oil is synthetic motor oil that can be used for all types of vehicles without any drawbacks or limitations on results.
The base synthetic oil of the Rislone Nano Prime engine oil helps to improve the mileage of your engine along with its performance and decreases the overall harmful exhaust emissions. And if you are worried about compatibility, don’t be. The Rislone Nano Prime engine oil is compatible with almost all types of engine oils of varying viscosity levels.
- 9 oz oil additive quantity available in the pack
- Comes in a basic canister
- Compatible with most engine oils
- Synthetic additives are included in the formula
- Great in terms of quantity as well as quality
- It is a synthetic motor oil
- Takes care of most common engine problems
- Not suitable for special-purpose engine issues
BG is one of the lesser known brands present on our list today due to its limited coverage on maintenance products such as oil additives. However, it is pretty popular for other product categories such as fishing equipment and even home appliances.
The BG MOA Motor Oil Additive is yet another ideal option available on our list that is suitable for a long shelf life. It is possible with the BG MOA Motor Oil Additive since it arrives in a pack of 3 bottles of oil additives, measuring up to 33 oz oil additive in total. Thus, you can start using additives from one of these 3 units, keeping the remaining 2 bottles perfectly safe and sealed until needed.
The BG MOA Motor Oil Additive also manages to offer superior and long-lasting results when it comes to engine performance. Once mixed with the engine oil, the BG MOA Motor Oil Additive increases its oil pressure by making the compound thicker than before. So, you can trust the performance of your engine even under a heavy-load.
- 11 oz oil additive quantity available with each bottle
- Comes in a basic canister
- Comes in a pack of 3 bottles
- Superior and long-lasting performance
- Extends engine life
- Reduces wear and tear
- Safe for future applications
- Quantity might be too much for some buyers
We will end our selection of the best oil additives with another budget option from ASL. This is a quite versatile brand as it distributes a wide range automotive as well as general-purpose maintenance products.
The CamGuard Oil Additive is yet another powerful oil additive available on our selection today. It is basically a mixture of multiple high-performance additives, created to provide the best protection to your engine. So, it can easily deal with common engine issues like internal corrosion, elemental deposits, and most importantly, internal wear and tear. What’s more important is that the CamGuard Oil Additive is specially designed for piston aircraft engines, so you can get an idea about its potency.
Once you have conditioned the engine with CamGuard Oil Additive, you don’t have to worry about its health, even if it is non-functional for a long period of time. The advanced anti-wear additives on the CamGuard Oil Additive can significantly reduce wear and tear commonly seen in components like cams, lifters, rings, and valve guides.
- 16 oz oil additive quantity available in the pack
- Comes in a canister with elongated opening
- Designed for piston aircraft engines
- Prevents premature engine overhauling
- Highly powerful oil additive
- It is a mixture of multiple high-performance oil additives
- Takes care of your engine completely
- Quantity should have been a bit higher
Buying Guide For The Best Oil Additive
Professional drivers and automobile enthusiasts can definitely affirm the importance of regular engine maintenance procedures and their effect on the performance of the engine. One such activity is engine oil change which should not be missed or overlooked in any case. Even if you have previously changed the oil of your engine, you should still consider keeping some in reserve as you never know when you might need one.
While the engine is functional, it constantly bears increased temperatures and frictions, resulting in changes in its physical and chemical properties. Therefore, oil change is a recursive process and must be done once or twice within a year to keep your engine maintained. If you are not sure how to buy the right oil additive for your engine, check out our buying guide for the best oil additives given right here.
1. Chemical Properties
At the end of the day, an oil additive is nothing but a non-viscous liquid compound introduced into your engine to improve its performance and reduce common engine problems. Therefore, the overall results and performance of engine oil are solely dependent upon its chemical composition. There are a few elements like zinc or phosphorus that can certainly increase the effectiveness of the compound.
The zinc element is introduced in engine oils to increase the engine’s performance, making it an important factor for older and lesser-efficient engines. On the other hand, phosphorus is used in the chemical compound to ensure low friction levels while the engine is functioning. Apart from that, there are a lot of other chemicals that are included in engine oil to increase its effectiveness. If you want the best performance, we will recommend going with a popular option that has already been tried by hundreds of other users.
2. Range of Effects
While you are buying an oil additive for your engine, you should try to find the effectiveness of the product as well as check the promised results from the brand before making a choice. It is possible that certain engine oil is designed to serve a dedicated purpose, making it a bad choice for your bike or car.
There are a bunch of results that should be expected from oil additives such as frictional reduction, deposit removal, lubrication, increase in engine performance, corrosion prevention, and much more. As you can imagine, it would be overkill to expect all of these results from one product as there is a selection of results promised by the manufacturer from the oil additive. Still, it is a great choice if the oil additive manages to offer multiple benefits without needing any extra additive for your engine. Such options are diverse in nature and offer the best value for the investment.
3. Fuel Efficiency
If you don’t already know, oil additives also have a significant impact on the fuel efficiency of the engine. When the engine is new, it offers a pretty good mileage as its fuel consumption level is comparatively lower. But as the engine gets older, there are increased levels of friction and other internal problems that are generated over time. So naturally, the force required to move the crank increases, causing an increase in the fuel consumption level.
An oil additive comes into play here as it reduces the friction levels of the engine, reducing its fuel requirements. With the right oil additive, your engine will run smoother than ever, offering a noticeable increase in fuel efficiency. So even if you end up with a premium-grade oil additive for your engine, it can be a cost-effective option in the long run if it promises an increase in fuel efficiency, saving a lot of expenses later on.
Lastly, we will suggest checking out how much oil additive you need before you make your purchase. While some users might be looking for a compact oil additive pack to maintain the engine of a smaller vehicle like a bike, others might be interested in the maintenance of a truck or RV, requiring a significantly larger oil additive canister.
Therefore, we have mentioned the quantity of oil additive you will receive in the package right along with our picks. This will definitely make the selection procedure easier for you as you can focus on products that are suitable for your needs.
Some oil additives are also offered in a pack of multiple units. It can also be a better choice if you want extra oil for future maintenance needs. Oil additives have a pretty long shelf life, especially if you don’t break the seal of the package. So, you can simply store the oil additives on a shelf for as long as you want, or until you need to change the oil of your engine again.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ans: Oil pressure is also an important factor for the proper working of the engine. If the engine status lights in your car are showing signs of low engine oil pressure, you can put an oil additive in the engine and fix that. But, keep in mind that this is a temporary measure since an oil additive does not increase the oil pressure permanently. Once the oil additive is adjusted in the engine, you may notice low oil pressure signs again. So, it is better to visit a mechanic to get your engine checked out.
Ans: Oil additives are designed for the sole purpose of increasing the performance of an engine and preventing problems like friction and corrosion on the inside. Therefore, oil additives shall not have a bad effect on your engine’s performance. But with that being said, you also need to ensure that you are buying the right oil additive for the oil used in your engine for things to work out the way they are supposed to. While most engine oils are universal and work with most oil additives, it is safer to double-check the compatibility before you place your order.
Ans: We will strongly recommend you do not mix 2 or more different oil additives together to use with your engine. As different engine oil additives are made up of different chemical compositions, nothing good can come out of mixing 2 different oil additives. With an ever slim chance of an increase in performance, there is a strong possibility of one or both oil additives actually degrading the performance of your engine, far be it from any sort of upgrade.
Oil additives are special oil compounds designed to be poured into the engine to help with its internal cleaning and maintenance. The basic benefits of an oil additive include cleaning the debris, improving oil pressure, and increasing the overall fuel efficiency of the engine. So, you should carefully choose which oil additive you are putting in your engine and whether it is the right pick for your engine or not. Generally, the choice of the oil additive depends upon a few key factors like its performance, quantity, compatibility with the engine oil, and range of use. If you want to know more about these factors, take a look at our buying guide for the best oil additives present on this list. We will also offer some handy recommendations right here so that you can choose the oil additive without a second thought.
- If you are sure about the universal compatibility of your engine oil and are looking for a cheaper alternative for a fuel additive, the Lucas Oil 10063 will be the right choice for you. This oil additive is nearly 10 times more affordable than other premium picks on the market. Still, it manages to deliver a decent performance since this is a zinc-based oil additive. And, you will also receive 16 oz of oil with the Lucas Oil 10063, making it an ideal choice for larger applications.
- The TriboTEX Nano Oil Additive on the other hand is a highly premium option from this list, created for special-purpose applications. Unlike other oil additives, you will only need a smaller quantity of the oil if you are using these compounds, as apparent from its tube-type packaging. This is possible because of the synthetic nanoparticles present in the TriboTEX Nano-Oil Additive, ensuring a quieter and smoother performance from your engine. It is also universally compatible with both gas and diesel engines as well as oils used with these engines.
- The BG MOA Motor Oil Additive is an ideal pick from this list in terms of application and storage. If you need a basic oil additive and wish to buy some extra for future applications, it will be the right call. The BG MOA Motor Oil Additive comes in a pack of 3 so that you can use the oil additive without compromising the shelf life of other packs. The BG MOA Motor Oil Additive ensures a wide range of results such as the extension of engine life along with a reduction in wear and tear.