If you are a regular iPad user, you might have already used it for different purposes in your daily life. The usage is endless, from gaming to watching videos and taking notes with the Quick Note. That means it can become an excellent asset for anyone who needs some extra assistance here and there.
Did you know that the iPad can also be a great tool for monitoring your work? For many professionals, the need for an extra screen during their work is necessary. If you want, you can use an iPad for this purpose.
Yes, it is true! You can use your iPad as an extra screen for your laptop or monitor. It will e;p you to organize and multitask with the perfect efficiency without using another monitor. Despite being smaller in size, the iPad never disappoints in this case. This is also a great option as you do not need to spend money on a new monitor.
The best part? Converting your iPad as a second screen is relatively easy. You just need a compatible pair of Mac and iPad to use it as a second screen of your Mac devices. The iPad can mirror your PC or as a second screen as per your preference.
If you are interested, here is a detailed guide on converting your iPad to a second screen for your purpose.
How to Use your IPad as a Second Screen
If you are interested in using your iPad as your second screen, you need to use a particular app. There are both paid and free apps for this purpose, and you can choose from these alternatives as per your preference.
Benefits of using a Multi-Monitor Setup
Using your iPad as a mirror screen or a second screen comes with many advantages like-
1. More Space for your Device
Often you need to open multiple applications at the same time. Due to the small screen and split, windows may not work for every mac device. In this case, using the iPad allows you to have another screen for opening another application window. It is neat and allows you to work better without compromising the screen size.
2. Boosts Productivity
Do you know that using your iPad as another screen or a mirror screen can boost your productivity? Well, it allows you to open multiple apps at the same time. You can divert your gaze from one screen to another to get the needed information and continue the work properly. The iPad effectively becomes your second screen, and you do not need to reopen or close multiple applications in the middle of your work. it boosts your productivity rate significantly
Are you someone who loves to watch videos or their favourite movie while working? A lot of professionals often do this to keep themselves energized while working. If you use your iPad as the second screen to your computer, you can do this better. Your iPad offers you clear pictures and sounds. Hence, you do not need to be satisfied with a small window or background sounds. You can watch anything in full resolution while your work is on, minus any hiatus.
How to Use An iPad as the Second Screen on Your Windows
As we have said before, you need to use a particular app to convert your iPad to the second screen of your device. You can use a MAC device or a regular window device for this.
But, you also need some other tools like a USB cable to complete the whole setup. Here is a detailed guide on how to transform your iPad as an extension of your existing monitor-
Things You Need to Use Your iPad as a Second Monitor
1. Duet Display – Paid
Duet Display is a paid software application that can instantly transform your iPad screen into a part of your monitor. You need to spend $9.9 for the full version.
If you want to share a screen on your iPad, ensure you have iTunes installed on both your PC and iPad. With iTunes, you can link the apps on both devices to create a second screen out of your iPad.
3. A Fully Charged iPad and Laptop/PC
Getting a fully charged PC and Ipad is essential for this work. Converting the iPad into a second monitor will require a lot of power from both devices. Hence, it is advisable to get a fully charged device to continue using the iPad as a second screen for a more extended period.
4. A Lightning to USB Cable
The basic principle of transforming the iPad into an extension of your monitor is to connect these two devices physically. For this, you need a USB cable. So, make sure to get a good quality one.
How to Download & Set-up Your Duet Display on iPad
Follow the Steps
- First, open the app store on your iPad and navigate to the search bar
- Now, type “Duet Display” on the search bar.
- The screen will display the app; tap on it to open the app details.
- After this, click on the blue button to purchase the full paid version.
- Wait for the app to complete its installation on our
- After this, tap on the “Open” button to start the login
- Now, tap on “Next” as soon as the app opens and choose “Accept” or “Not Now” as per your
- You can log in/sign in to the Duet Display app with your email and other credentials.
- Alternatively, you can tap on the “Connect” button available on the bottom right of the screen.
- A new dialogue box will open to seek permission to access the Bluetooth. Tap, “OK”
Now, Duet Display is ready for your iPad. You need to set up this app on your PC(Mac or windows device) to complete the procedure of transforming the iPad screen.
How to Download & Set-up Your Duet Display on Windows
Here is the detailed guide on how to install and setup the Duet Display app on your PC-
- First, open the official website of Duet Display on your computer. Here, the application has a dedicated windows version on the top right portion of your
- Click on the “Windows” button to start the download.
- After the download is complete, click on the downloaded file to install the application.
- After extracting the app, choose the desired path for installation and accept the license
- Now, click on “Install” to complete the installation process.
- After this, click on “Finish” after the installation is complete.
- Now, restart your PC to finish the Dual display setup.
- After the restart is complete, follow the procedure of connecting the iPad and monitor.
How to Connect & Use Your iPad as Second Monitor on Your Windows
Follow the steps
- First, open iTunes in the background and run it. If you need to sign in, complete the signup process for iTunes.
- After this, open your iPad home screen.
- Now, connect the iPad and Windows device using the USB If the iPad requires a passcode, put it in the designated place.
- Now, open Duet Display on your iPad and leave it like that.
- After this, open the Duet Display application on your PC or laptop.
- If you find a popup, click on “No” to prevent the sending of any diagnostic data.
- Another popup opens that will ask your permission to auto-connect both devices wirelessly for future use. Experts advise using the wired mode of connection to prevent unnecessary security breaches. Hence, click on “No” and proceed.
- You will now see that your iPad has been converted as the second monitor of your PC. You can also use the iPad’s touch controls to navigate through the screen.
You may require some tuning of the iPad after converting it to the second screen of your window device. You can adjust the framerate, performance, and resolution to ensure you get a clear picture.
But, please remember that Duet Display consumes power from both iPad and Windows devices.
With the considerable battery reserve of your iPad, you can continue using it as the second screen of your monitor for a long time. Hence, the standard resolution is better. You can also use the lowest resolution if your iPad does not have the full battery.
How to use An iPad as Second Screen for A Mac
If you are using a Mac device, Duet Display may not work for you.
Using your iPad as an extension of the Mac device screen is more accessible than using it on a windows device.
You just need your iPad, a device running on macOS Catalina, or later versions for turning the iPad into a second monitor.
Apple Sidecar (MacOS)
Apple Sidecar is a unique feature of the macOS Catalina. You can use it to transform your iPad into an extension of the screen or a mirror screen for your device. It is available free of cost and yields a great result with premium iPad models.
Before you use the Sidecar, take care of the following matters-
- Ensure your Mac device and iPad are logged in using the same Apple ID
- Use a USB cable to charge the iPad while using the Sidecar. Using the iPad as a screen extension requires a lot of power, and keeping it in charge mode will help you use the device for longer.
- Ensure your device is updated to the latest available software
But, Apple Sidecar may not be compatible with every MAC or iPad. Here is a list of compatible Mac and iPad devices-
Compatible Mac Devices
- iMac with 27-inch 5K screen 2015
- MacBook 2016 & later
- MacBook Pro 2016 & later
- iMac 2017 Retina & later
- iMac Pro 2017 & later
- MacBook Air 2018 or later
- Mac mini 2018 & later
- Mac Pro 2019 & later
Compatible Mac Devices
- iPad Pro all models
- iPad Air 3rd Gen and later
- iPad mini 5th Gen and later
- iPad 6th Gen and later
Share your Mac Desktop to an iPad
The screen-sharing experience on your Ipad can vary depending on the software update you are using in your Mac or iMac device.
Here is the way to connect the entire Mac desktop on your iPad-
- Mac OS Big Sur or later versions
- First, click on the “Display icon” available in the menu bar(located on the top right of the screen).
- Now, choose your iPad from the menu options
- MacOS Catalina
- First, click on the “Airplay icon” found in the menu bar.
- Now, select the iPad you desire.
- Alternatively, open the “System Preferences” from your
- Next, go to the “Displays tab”.
- Check out the mirroring options in the menu bar to connect the iPad and Mac devices.
After you have connected your Mac device and iPad, you are ready to go. You can choose to either mirror the screen or use it as a second screen-
- Mirror Built-In Retina Display: You can use this feature to mirror the screen of your Mac device on your iPad.
- Separate screen for Mac device: You can also use it as an extension of your Mac device. For this, first, drag the windows or files on the right of the display. It will automatically open the dragged window on your iPad screen. If you want to reopen it on your Mac device, just drag your cursor to the original position.
Share one Mac window to An iPad
Dragging a window multiple times to view it on your iPad screen can be a tedious and time-consuming job.
The best option is to quickly share the window on your iPad. You can easily share your browsing details in Safari or the notes on your Ipad from the Mac device.
For this, hover the cursor and move the full screen button appearing on the top left of the window screen. It will open a dialogue box with four options. At last, you will find the option “Move to iPad”, click on it.
You will see that the window has opened on the iPad.
Using Sidebar Controls, Gestures, & Touch Bar on an iPad
Once you have shared the Mac device screen on your iPad, you will find that different controls have appeared on the iPad screen alongside the standard sidebar controls available on a Mac screen.
These are –
- Menu bar: You can either display it or hide it during the full-screen option
- Dock: Show or hide Doc
- Option: Double-tap to lock key
- Control: Double-tap to lock key
- Shift: Double-tap to lock key
- Undo: Undo the last performed activity
- Command: Double-tap to lock key
- Keyboard: hide or display the keyboard on the screen
- Disconnect: Disconnect the Mac device and the iPad
Besides these control sidebars, a few swipe gestures are also available to control the iPad screen.
This helps you control the iPad screen as the regular touch gestures are not available in this screen sharing mode.
You can use the swiping of your two fingers to scroll the bar, use three fingers swipe to copy and swiping left to undo, etc.
Besides that, you can also use the touch bar if your iPad is compatible with this feature. The touch bar will help you go forward or backward for the Safari window. You can also send a text using emoticons in messages with the touch bar.
But, touch bars are not available for every app. You can quickly delete the sidebar or touch bar.
Click on “Display” icon on menu bar of your mac screen. Here, you will find “Hide sidebar” & “Hide touch bar” options. Click on your desired option to hide them.
Using an iPad while it is connected to a Mac
You are using your iPad as an extension of your Mac device. But, that does not mean your iPad will not function as a regular iPad. You can simply swipe up to get off this mode and use the iPad.
If you look carefully, you will find a blue-colored icon with two interconnected monitors on the dock of your iPad screen. Just tap on that interconnected window button if you want to resume the screen sharing mode.
Using an iPad as your second screen is economical and easy. You do not need to buy a separate monitor for a few occasions. On top of that, it also allows you to use the iPad to its full potential. After all, an iPad is capable of doing some excellent things.
Using an iPad as the second screen does not hinder the experience, and you can view the screen at full resolution.
On top of that, sharing a screen on an iPad is also a more manageable task and requires a few minutes.
Hence, if you need another monitor, it is time to use your iPad alongside your windows or Mac device.